Wednesday, December 17, 2014

DIY: Making Laundry Detergent

I started making laundry detergent about six months ago. It was more necessity than frugality. We have some serious allergies in our family and I tried everything that the store had to offer that might be friendlier to my skin (and sniffles!). Frankly I've heard about homemade soaps for years, mainly from my sister who thought I was a walking contradiction buying frugal everywhere but the laundry aisle, but I thought the process was a nuisance. It was so much work boiling, bottling, etc. I didn't have the time for all that. As the saying goes "time is money" - the trade-off didn't make sense to me.

But eventually I came around, specifically when I found some time saving tips and altered the recipe to fit my family's needs. To make this "hypo-allergenic" detergent, you'll need:


  • 1 c. Borax
  • 1 c. Baking Soda (my sister swears by Washing Soda, but this works great too)
  • 1 bar Zote
  • Canister, scoop and cheese grater
  • Optional: Table Salt, Rice, Sock
  1. First grate your Zote bar into the canister/container. Make sure it has a good seal. You don't need this to be fine, just small enough to dissolve easier in the water during washing. I have a separate cheese grater I use just for soap and non food grating, however the Zote website says it is safe to wash your dishes with (it's multipurpose!) so if you don't have a spare just be sure to wash it well before using next time. OR Use Zote Flakes. This is a new product that I recently spotted at Walmart, no grating needed! Each box equals two bars, but you'll pay about twice the price ($2.68).
  2. Now add 1 cup borax and 1 cup baking soda. 
  3. Mix well. I like to do this with my hands because it allows me to break up any large Zote pieces. 
  4. Add a desiccant. What's a desiccant? You know, those white packets you see in your snack foods or pill bottles that keep the product fresh and "crisp"? That's a desiccant. To make one, simply add rice to a clean sock or dish towel and tie it shut. The rice will draw out extra moisture from the detergent preventing clumping (which can be such a hassle down the road!).
Optional: Add a tablespoon of salt to each load to preserve it's vibrant color. Salt helps set the dye and borax can be a bit harsh. I found without salt, my deepest darks faded a bit those first few washes. Salt stopped this from happening altogether.


This recipe fills half a coffee canister, but the best part is how much I go through. It takes about two tablespoons per load! That makes just one batch last months! Ok, now for the cost break down:

Borax: $1.38 with coupon at WinCo
Baking Soda: $0.59 at 99 Only or $0.52/lb at WinCo in bulk
Zote: $0.59 per bar at 99 Only or $2.68 per box at Walmart
Salt: $0.24 at 99 Only
Total for supplies = $3.15 per batch or $0.02 per load!

No comments:

Post a Comment