Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Christmas Decorating DIY Advent Calendar

I'm decorating for the season, as I'm sure many of you have already started doing as well and I had to share this character the hubby and I put together for the Advent calendar....


That's right, I couldn't stand another year with cheap tasting, chalk coated, chocolate squares that were messy and get all over the carpet the moment you open them. Besides, Advent isn't about chocolate (altho, who turns down chocolate?? Anyone?)  But many store bought calendars don't come with scriptures anymore, and to me it defeats the purpose of it all. So this year we made our own and turns out it was a lot of fun putting it together.

First I grabbed a sleigh. I found this cute poka-dot gem at the 99 Only back in July. I can't say enough about buying in the off season. In fact, I plan some of my trips around it! Next we bought cupcake cups. These come in a set of 24 - perfect for this project! After doing some research, the hubster gave me his list of scriptures which I wrote on the bottom of each cup and added the day. Then we filled it with candy, stuffed the top with leftover tissue paper (you know, the stuff that gets crinkled in the back of your wrapping box - not pretty enough for gifts, but perfect for this).



Then I put it all together; the moose was a gift from the hubby on our first Christmas, I also added some tulle I had left over to imitate snow. All in all we spent no more than $5. Plus it is the cutest centerpiece on our table. We're putting a little whimsy in our holiday this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment