Saturday, August 28, 2010

Have You Been to 'Last Chance' Yet?


If you live in Arizona and you're a big bargain shopper, chances are someone has told you about Nordstrom's clearance store 'Last Chance' located in Phoenix. I love this store! Last Chance is the last stop for all returned and overstocked merchandise cut to deep discounts as low as 85% - 95% off.

The Pros:
  1. When you're browsing, you'll quickly notice the designer names everywhere. Marc Jacobs, Michael Cors, Calvin Klein, DKNY, Ugg and more. 
  2. There is a lot more variety than a usual thrift store. The shoe section alone can wear me out!
  3. Since Last Chance isn't a second-hand store, you don't have the same wear-and-tear and color fading. There are some Nordstrom returns mixed in, but the new merchandise is far greater than you'll see at your local Goodwill.
The Cons:
  1. You really have to look for a good deal. Not every deal is great, and not every item is up to par. Everything is sold as is, so be sure you check before you charge it.
  2. There is always a crowd and sometimes you have to squeeze your way through to get to that $1 bin. It's the "bees to honey" effect. If there's a crowd swarming, you'll want to get in there too!
  3. Every day is black Friday at Last Chance. The deals are always good and sometimes the shoppers go a little batty when they find the holy grail of the perfect black stiletto heels. Word to the wise, take your time shopping and don't stress yourself out looking for the deal.
  4. All sales are final. No returns, no exchanges.
Today I took a little trip (to just browse of course) and I walked out of the store as giddy as could be with my $7 purchase. I was even more ecstatic when I totaled up the original prices to share what kind of discounts you could get. Here's the breakdown.


Last Chance Nordstrom
Caslon T-Shirt $1 $22
Caslon Cami (2) $1 each $20
Felina Bra $2 $40
Natori Bra $2 $60
Total $7 $162


Now I've heard a few people say to me that they've had no luck with Last Chance, and if you go in with the department store shopper state of mind, you'll probably over look some great stuff. LC is a unique shopping experience and it's taken me a while to know where the best deals are. Here are my suggestions:

Where to look:
  1. Shop before you enter. I know it sounds crazy, but the best deals are usually right outside the Last Chance doors. There are always tables and racks of product just itching to go home with you and they're priced to move.
  2. Look for $ bins or racks. Often you'll see a display marked $1 or $2 and this is where you can find the best discounts. These are usually overstock items, often with a good selection of colors / sizes and less likely torn or stained.
  3. Check the dress department (Men and Women) for Prom. They have the best discounts on formal wear including tuxedos I've seen anywhere. You can even outfit a bridal party. My sister did it and it was only $7.50 a bridesmaid!
  4. The best deals on my list are on plain fitted tees, camis, necklaces, earrings, socks, spanx and the nick-knack table.
  5. The good deals on my list (depending on the week) are purses, shoes (especially men's large), prom attire, jeans and undergarments.
What's your go-to store when you're feeling that frugal itch? Do you have a local boutique you can't go without?

(Photo Credit: Rosalie M. via Yelp.com)


Cents'Able Shoppin!

3 comments:

  1. Hey that is a fun store, I haven't been there in years.... like seriously maybe 10??

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that place!! I used to work downtown Phx and would go there on my lunch! What a gr8 topic for Blog Hop!! :) LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just moved down the street from htere and haven't been yet! I've heard great things though! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete